Recipe: Homemade Ice Cream
Today, I was asked about a homemade ice cream recipe so I though I would share mine. I love this recipe. You can add so many things to it to get a great, unique flavor.
|Recipe: Homemade Ice Cream||
- 1 quart of heavy whipping cream
- 1¼ C. whole milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1¼ C. sugar
- 10 egg yolks
- 1 box rock salt (you may not need all of it)
- 1 bag of ice
- In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine cream and milk. Allow to just come to a boil.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks together with the sugar and the vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl. When the cream is ready, pour a third of it into the egg mixture, and whisk. (You do this so you are making ice cream and not scrabbled eggs).
- Pour egg mixture into remaining hot cream and return to the heat until mixture coats the back of a metal spoon. Do not boil.
- Chill in fridge until cold. ( At this point, I make dinner and feed everyone and then return to making my ice cream)
- Add vanilla to your chilled cream. At this point you would add your extras – fruit, nuts, chocolate chips… you get the point
- Then pour into the canister of an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions.
I also wanted to share with you the ice cream maker that I use. I LOVE it! My family loves ice cream and we have about 100,000 miles on our maker and it is still going strong. I love this maker too because you can freeze the canister which making churning time less and the canister is 4 quarts. Most are only 1 which doesn’t go very far when you are feeding a family of 6.
You can get my BLUE 4-Quart Electric Ice Cream Maker at Amazon for $39.95 shipped. You can buy dad/husband an ice cream maker for Father’s Day and make him some ice cream. He will LOVE it!