English Muffin Recipe
| English Muffin Recipe || || |
Recipe type: Bread
Author: Sandy @ Frugally Thrifty
English muffins are so easy to make. Once you see how easy and tasty this is, you will never purchase another store bought English muffin.
- 1 cup warm milk
- 3 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1½ tsp. salt
- 2 T. sugar
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 tsp. instant yeast
- 4 cups bread flour (may need more depending on where you live and the season)
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- Add warm milk to bowl of electric mixer. You can also use your bread machine on the "manual" mode.
- Next, add yeast, salt, sugar and give a few licks with a whisk
- Add egg and melted butter.
- With dough hook on, start adding flour ½ cup at the time. Do this until a soft ball forms.
- Turn dough ball onto a surface sprinkled with corn meal.
- Roll out dough to about ½ inch thick and use a round cookie cutter to cut out dough. I use a 3 inch cutter.
- Re-roll dough and keep cutting until all dough is used. Place on cookie sheet
- Once all cut out, cover cookie sheet with damp, warm cloth for 20 to 30 minutes.
- While dough is resting, start warming your griddle. I use an electric one on about 300 degrees. You can also use a skillet.
- Do not grease griddle/skillet. Just dust with corn meal
- Now sprinkle dough with cornmeal and place on griddle. Cook for about 5 minutes on each side on a low heat. Check ½ to make sure that aren't over browning.
- Cool completely on wire rack.