Author: Sandy @ Frugally Thrifty
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 35 mins
This is the bread recipe that is so very easy and I use this same recipe for dinner rolls, hamburger buns, hot dog buns... You get the idea. I make my kids lunches with this bread. One thing I have found the really makes a difference in my bread recipes is that I use bread flour. Bread flours have more protein and are made from softer wheat. You can use all-purpose flour but using bread flour will get you fluffier, rounder loaves. The steps below are for 8 hamburger buns. If you want hot dog buns just roll into cylinders instead of balls. For dinner rolls, divide into 16 instead of eight.
- Things you need:
- 1 - cup warm water
- 1 - stick of butter (I used salted)
- 1 – egg
- .25 – cup sugar
- 3.5 - cups bread flour
- 1.25 tsp – salt
- 1 – Tbsp instant yeast
- The method to my madness:
- First, add warm water to your bowl. You want to warm your bowl so you don't shock your yeast. That's why you add water first.
- Then add yeast, salt, and sugar.
- Give a couple of licks with a wisk.
- Next in a microwave safe bowl, melt 2 tbsp butter.
- Beat egg into butter. (don't get butter to hot or you wil make scrambled eggs)
- Add egg and butter mixture to bowl.
- Start adding flour 1 cup at a time. May need more or less depending on season. You want the dough to barely form a ball and to be somewhat sticky (a.k.a. shaggy dough).
- Knead with the electric mixture just a couple of minutes.
- Transfer dough to a large bowl that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Spray the top of your dough ball as well.
- Cover with a warm, wet kitchen towel and let rise at least 3 hours. An hour will do but the longer it rises the better your bread will taste. 3 hours is the magical number. Great time to do some house work, run errands, clip coupons. Basically just forget about it.
- Once raised, punch down and transfer dough to oiled surface (not floured).
- Gently divide into 8 pieces. Flatten to about 3” across. Place buns on a well greased cookie sheet. Or use parchment.
- Cover with same wet warm towel and let rise another hour.
- Brush buns with remaining butter, melted. Add sesames seeds if you wish.
- Bake in preheated 375-degree oven for about 15 minutes.
Recipe by Coupons | Freebies | Frugal | HEB Deals at http://www.frugallythrifty.net/home-made-bread-recipe/